From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Clades, Definitions, Discoveries, FTDNA
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:51:58 -0700

Dear Steve,
We still don't know the true average number of Y SNPs that occur per
generation, but it appears that in general in any given lineage that Y SNPs
are occurring with a frequency of between one every 3 to 6 generations. See
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2009-04/12389114
09 and
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2009-04/12389281
92. As we move into complete Y sequencing more and more in the next several
years, improving the accuracy of the sequencing of the Y chromosome will be
important and will help reduce the frequency in which erroneous SNPs that
are reported need to be tested in other people. As Ken mentioned, there are
a lot of relatively private SNPs that have occurred within the past 500-1000
years that are still awaiting discovery.
Sincerely,
Tim