From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 05:57:54 -0500

I always suggest that participants test first as individuals and compare
their results to others, before joining our project (at Ancestry).

Hopefully, this is a generational thing. We had a problem with the
pre-baby-boomer generation when we proved an NPE in the USA. His older
relatives attacked our test subject for even participating. Yet, the younger
generation accepted the results without any problem.

The NPE was apparently well known in the early 1800's, but apparently
somewhat suppressed in the Victorian Era. In fact, many people knew the two
families were not related as late as the 1930's, as witness a newspaper
articles in which a person who had married into the other family stated that
he and his wife were not related even though they shared the same surname.

Bob Stafford

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Nancy Kiser <> wrote:

> I agree that privacy is another hot button issue for the skittish British.
> Here is a response from a Brit that one of our members received a year ago:
>
> Sorry to hear about your lack of interest from the British contingent. I
> appreciate your scientific interest in the DNA analysis, however I think
> that there are cultural differences at work here. I'll attempt to explain.
> From our rather reserved British point of view, you may as well be asking
> for my husband's heart on a platter or about our sexual health! Without
> wanting to offend you, it's interpreted as equally inappropriate,
> outrageous, crazy, offensive, and suspicious.

This thread: