From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ancestry.com to FTDNA
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:47:42 -0400

Bob,

IMO, the waste was in getting tested at Ancestry.com, not in getting retested at
FTDNA, because retesting...

1. Makes them comparable on all 37 markers with other members of the project
and allows for an upgrade to 67 markers.

2. Makes available to them the entire stable of FTDNA tests, all but a handful
of which are totally unavailable at Ancestry.

3. Puts their results in the FTDNA database, which means they will get
automatic notification of matches.

4. Allows them to be SNP tested. (I've seen Ancestry make a horrible mistake
in deducing a haplogroup, and I've heard of others.)

5. Allows them to easily and accurately transfer results to Ysearch.

6. Allows them to easily and accurately transfer results to the Genographic
Project.

7. There is also an admittedly subjective factor, which is simply that I,
personally, find the Ancestry interface an absolute dog to use.

As for the intelligence of project admins, getting sarcastic doesn't improve
your case. No one suggested a project admin couldn't "handle" bringing an
Ancestry testee into an FTDNA project. In fact, the part of my message you
omitted from your backquote explained how it could be done, with an example of
just such a case in one of my own projects. Also, please note that I said the
*best* avenue, not the *only* avenue.

Diana

This thread: