From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] privacy
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:59:48 -0400

Similarly, in a couple of my haplogroup projects some subjects are
very concerned about privacy. They are already FTDNA customers, but
may object to having their name listed on the public results page.

As a result, I have adopted a strategy of setting up these projects to
show just the surname. Then, for those who are worried about privacy,
I ask them to move or- with their permission - I move their surname
to the "middle name" field on the Contact information page at FTDNA.
In "last name" I enter something suitable (e.g. "Anonymous (Iraq)").

The FTDNA account still has their information, in case FTDNA needs to
reach them. The project gets to include the information. The
participant protects their public identity.

It is better than losing the participant altogether.

VV

On Mar 15, 2010, at 12:46 PM, Diana Gale Matthiesen wrote:

> But I've had several key people get tested this way, ones
> who simply would not have agreed to be tested, otherwise.

This thread: