From: Sasson Margaliot <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Clades, Definitions, Discoveries, FTDNA
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:10:44 +0200

It is not about nature of the process, it is about policy.

The name like M359.3 is good, because it's here to stay. When new instance
of the same change is discovered, the new one will become M359.4, nothing
needs to be renamed.

For a good system of tagging, the stability is a very important property.
Writers of scientific papers do not use letter-digit-letter-digit
designations anymore, because by the time article is published chances are
the designation already will mean something else. But the designation like

The designation like "J-M359" is stable, and naturally wins
the completion and is preferred by writers.

The tree can grow all it wants, the smart policy of tagging (which is the
one actually used by writers) is already perfectly stable.