From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: [DNA] Y-DNA clade naming
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:47:02 -0400

We have had *this* discussion on the list numerous times before, too.

Names like "M359.3" are simple, but unfortunately, such "shorthand" or
"vernacular" names don't give you a clue where they are on the haplotree.
Offhand, I don't know where M359 is on the tree, I would have to look it up.
The reason we use hierarchical names on cladograms is that such names tell you
exactly where they are in the tree, without having to look them up.

So, looking up M359.... I can only find an M359.2, which is a synonym for P41.2
which is the defining SNP for I2a2a. M359.2 may be the more useful name, to
you, but I2a2a is the more useful name, to me.

If you're not doing research that involves knowing where you are in the tree, or
if you're doing research that involves knowing only a small part of the tree
well, then fine, use the vernacular names. But please grant that others may be
doing research where the hierarchical labeling of the Y-DNA haplotree becomes
the more efficient system.

By the way, I made a suggestion almost exactly a year ago that we break the
hierarchical names into more readable units. I suggested quads. The thread
begins, here:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2009-03/1237591254

Peter Langley then made the excellent suggestion to offset the quads by
isolating the initial letter:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2009-03/1237629726

I've been using the system ever since, at least for the longer names:
http://dgmweb.net/DNA/SNPcharts/R1b_2010-02-12.shtml
While it takes some getting used to, now that I am used to it, I really like it.

Diana

This thread: