From: "Bart O'Toole" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy - and bastards
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:54:26 -0500

I am an actual bastard, Miserecordia Home for Unwed Mothers. I've got plenty of DNA, but I'm short on near-term genealogy. I've never been that interested in meeting the birth parents - and with Illinois adoption laws, it's impossible anyhow. Although, I would love to know the birth father's surname.

With the miracle of DNA testing (thank you National Geographic for introducing me to it)and a lot of money, I've found I'm a member of an L21 cluster that goes back about 1500 years. That for me is what makes the DNA hobby worth the expense - the thrill of discovering something new.

NPE's have been around since the beginning, so I chuckle at the concept of pure blood and unblemished pedigrees.

Bart O'Toole