From: Aaron Hill <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy - and bastards
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:02:34 -0700

A lot of people have called me a bastard, though the DNA (and my looks) show
that I am indeed descended from the people regarded as my parents. Everyone
has some sort of mutations so the idea of 'pure blood' and 'unblemished
pedigrees' is just plain impossible. It doesn't exist. Bart. it's nice to
see you embrace the hobby. I am addicted as well. If I could, I'd do my
whole genome. I am trying to figure out a way to do this.

-- Aaron

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Bart O'Toole <> wrote:

> I am an actual bastard, Miserecordia Home for Unwed Mothers. I've got
> plenty of DNA, but I'm short on near-term genealogy. I've never been that
> interested in meeting the birth parents - and with Illinois adoption laws,
> it's impossible anyhow. Although, I would love to know the birth father's
> surname.
>
> With the miracle of DNA testing (thank you National Geographic for
> introducing me to it)and a lot of money, I've found I'm a member of an L21
> cluster that goes back about 1500 years. That for me is what makes the DNA
> hobby worth the expense - the thrill of discovering something new.
>
> NPE's have been around since the beginning, so I chuckle at the concept of
> pure blood and unblemished pedigrees.
>
> Bart O'Toole

This thread: