From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Y-DNA clade naming
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:06:46 -0600

I should add there is a domain of the y tree where the snps will reign
supreme in discovering the tree structure (that includes the nodes and hence
the clades). This is the more recent post-agriculture eras in the various
parts of the world. This resulted in a rapid increase in human population
as compared to the earlier era. The tree becomes very bushy with nodes very
close to each other. It is very difficult to then use STRs of even extended
haplotypes to sort out the tree structure or find clades of today's
haplotypes; the snps when had in sufficient number now do the job. Ken