From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Clades, Definitions, Discoveries, FTDNA
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:14:33 -0700

Dear Al,
My take on this is that something will evolve much like Adriano
Squecco's 23andMe Y SNP spreadsheets have been used. However, it will be on
a much grander scale. Y haplogroup project administrators could cluster
complete Y chromosome sequences in subcategories based on their
subhaplogroup. As more and more complete Y chromosome sequences become
available these subhaplogroups will be further and further subcategorized as
SNPs and/or STR mutations are discovered that allow them to be grouped into
appropriate clusters. This could potentially be done in Excel or some other
large database. If Excel was to be used, you would need to have about 26
separate files to handle all of the Y sequences since Excel can only handle
1 million rows per file. There will probably be enough private/family SNPs
that STRs won't be used all that much except in situations where you don't
have a private/family SNP that allows data in specific unconnected but
clearly related family groups to be clustered other than by using STR data.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen