From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Y-DNA clade naming
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 01:44:18 -0400

We've been going around on this issue for years...

The changing hierarchical labels are not a "flaw," they're part of the design.
If you don't like the hierarchical names, please use the vernaculars. People
who are serious researchers in the field know the names so well (past and
current), that the changes don't throw them. The system isn't designed to make
it easy for novices to use, it's designed to serve a complex purpose.

Please go to the list archive:
http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html
and search on "labels." Another good search term is "hierarchical." You will
find messages addressing every aspect of this issue in excruciating detail.

As for dating your work and stating your standard, yes, you should do so.
Publications are automatically dated and presumably the editor, if not the
author, will make certain the nomenclature is current as of the publication date
and that the standard is stated.

As for the unpublished work we do, the beauty of working on the web is that you
can continually update it. I try to keep my web site nomenclature current, but
I don't always have time -- and apparently I'm behind on at least I2 -- so I do
date the tables I'm using and state the standards:
http://dgmweb.net/DNA/DNA-hub.shtml#haplotrees

I follow the FTDNA tree and mangle the ISOGG tree to fit it. I follow Ken's
groupings for Haplogroup I haplotypes, which I reordered and squnched into
FTDNA's haplogroups:
http://dgmweb.net/DNA/General/Hg-I-subclades-FTDNA-order.shtml

The reason for FTDNA's priority here has nothing to do with the relative merits
of the trees, it's simply a reflection of the fact that I admin six projects at
FTDNA. The last thing I want to do is confuse my members by using clade names
that are different from the ones they're seeing on their member pages.

Diana

This thread: