From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Clades, Definitions, Discoveries, FTDNA
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:18:05 -0700

Dear Vince,
Do you have some recent data on which you are projecting the SNP
mutation rate to be 1-in-30 million bps on the Y? The last time I looked at
this I was coming up with estimates of about one SNP every 4-6 generations.
See
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2009-04/12389114
09 and
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2009-04/12389281
92 for background. I certainly hope that the Y mutation rate is as frequent
as every 1-2 generations since that would all reconstruction of Y surname
trees more precisely than if new SNPs occur only once every 4-6 generations.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen