From: peter spencer <>
Subject: [DNA] S28 SNP - The ''Latin'' R1b
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 01:54:39 -0500

Well I received my new SNP results, and im S28+ L2+.

I have been up to a tad of research on this finding, and what I have
determined is, that the highest national proportion of S28 seems to not be
continental at all..

It seems to be the 20% of WELSH R1b who are S28+, (with a apparent runner-up
in the Italian penninsula).

Now..
this coupled with the massive proportion of Italian samples that are also
R1b / S28+ seems of some significance.. Italian samples are hardly a
significant proportion of overall individuals tested, yet they skew
exceptionally towards S28.
Places such as WALES, also skewed heavily towards S28 are amongst the
modern-day Isles populations MOST affected genetically by the Roman
occupation era, the literal descendents of the Romano-British hybridised
population (likely tilted very heavily toward PATERNAL roman heritage)..

Just as important-
the Irish and Highland Scots, who were largely NOT affected at all by the
Roman occupation of the isles are virtually absent from the roles of R1b /
S28.

The other higher-density euro populations that are elevated in pct. of S28;
the southern germans, the gaulish french, cisalpine, swiss, are all
populations that fell under roman occupation, and whose population were
virtually at the mercy of roman legionaires / roman occupation for hundreds
of years..

I propose that S28 when found in britain and other former roman conquests is
most likely a factor of longstanding roman occupation, with these soldiers
producing offspring in the area of their posting, with local women.
If two countries in particular seem indelibly tied to S28 it seems to be the
WELSH and the ITALIAN peoples.. To all of my (newfound) fellow ''PAISANO'S''
out there in the S28 snp, I guess this is proof that genetic genealogy is
full of unexpected twists and turns, but always informative!

This thread: