From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] S28 SNP - The ''Latin'' R1b
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:38:17 -0700

I respectfully suggest that you do more research. Only about three or four
Welsh have turned up as S28 anything - I have no idea where your figures
come from - I co-founded EthnoAncestry in 2004 (if you tested S28 if was via
EA) so do have insider information. 20% of those is Wales are NOT S28, most
are L21 as expected. The 20% figure fits better with the scant information
on Austria which has among the lowest percentage of S28 in the region -
likely because much of it was part of Rhaetia, a province with a population
stucture unlike the Celticised Northern Italian areas nearby. We explored
Anglesey in Wales but have not published out results. There is S28 there
but it is eclipsed by S21/U106 and likely due to the Angle (Ongul) invasions
- after all the name is Anglesey.

The numbers of S28 (U152) in Britain are grotesquely distorted due to being
over represented in databases. It appears that percentage wise there are
more Hungarian S28 than English. I have been doing this research since 2004
so have a very large head start. You may wish to take the time to review
the many documents about S28/U152 that are installed on my website.

David K. Faux.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:54 PM, peter spencer <>wrote:

> Well I received my new SNP results, and im S28+ L2+.
>
> I have been up to a tad of research on this finding, and what I have
> determined is, that the highest national proportion of S28 seems to not be
> continental at all..
>
> It seems to be the 20% of WELSH R1b who are S28+, (with a apparent
> runner-up
> in the Italian penninsula).
>
> Now..
> this coupled with the massive proportion of Italian samples that are also
> R1b / S28+ seems of some significance.. Italian samples are hardly a
> significant proportion of overall individuals tested, yet they skew
> exceptionally towards S28.
> Places such as WALES, also skewed heavily towards S28 are amongst the
> modern-day Isles populations MOST affected genetically by the Roman
> occupation era, the literal descendents of the Romano-British hybridised
> population (likely tilted very heavily toward PATERNAL roman heritage)..
>
> Just as important-
> the Irish and Highland Scots, who were largely NOT affected at all by the
> Roman occupation of the isles are virtually absent from the roles of R1b /
> S28.
>
> The other higher-density euro populations that are elevated in pct. of S28;
> the southern germans, the gaulish french, cisalpine, swiss, are all
> populations that fell under roman occupation, and whose population were
> virtually at the mercy of roman legionaires / roman occupation for hundreds
> of years..
>
> I propose that S28 when found in britain and other former roman conquests
> is
> most likely a factor of longstanding roman occupation, with these soldiers
> producing offspring in the area of their posting, with local women.
> If two countries in particular seem indelibly tied to S28 it seems to be
> the
> WELSH and the ITALIAN peoples.. To all of my (newfound) fellow
> ''PAISANO'S''
> out there in the S28 snp, I guess this is proof that genetic genealogy is
> full of unexpected twists and turns, but always informative!

This thread: