Subject: Re: [DNA] Ancestry.com to FTDNA Thanks!
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:19:43 EDT

Many thanks to all those who responded to my post. I have passed the info
on to the interested party.
Stella

In a message dated 3/15/2010 5:48:26 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
writes:

Hi Stella,

No one tested elsewhere can "officially" join an FTDNA project and be
included
in their database or in the their version of your project web site. If
you have
a "personal" web site for your project, you are certainly free to include
people
tested at other labs.

Many of the markers tested by Ancestry are the same as those tested among
the
standard markers at FTDNA (markers 1-67), but some are comparable only to
markers in FTDNA's "advanced" markers. Also, some Ancestry markers need
conversion factors applied to them to be directly comparable to FTDNA.
This is
an example of someone tested at Ancestry, then included in my web site:
http://danishdemes.org/YDNA-results-HgR1b.shtml#Deme1

Be certain to indicate any conversions you made and the date you made
them.
Labs can change the way they report markers, so the conversion factors may
change over time.

One of the better places to check on the most current conversion factors
is at
SMGF:
http://www.smgf.org/ychromosome/marker_standards.jspx
I can't remember whether you have to be registered there to access this
page,
but if it asks you to sign in, do go ahead and register. The site has many
features that will help you, especially its database.

The best avenue would be for this individual to purchase the "conversion
kit"
and join your FTDNA project "officially," but it's understandable why
people,
especially people only just tested, balk at the expense of being tested,
again.
I've sometimes found that, after awhile, such an individual tires of not
being a
"full-fledged" member, and later purchases the conversion.

Hope this helps,
Diana