From: peter spencer <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:07:49 -0500

Kathy, i think you would do well to remind them that after William the
Conquerors 'Harrying of the North',

there were only about a thousand residents left alive in the regional census
even ten years later.. The population of York rose to expel the
(outnumbered) Norman occupation forces in their midst, and did so
successfully, however they were all but wiped from the (genomic) map by the
punitive massacres that followed, intended to denude the region of any
resistance, and disuade others from following the example of the North.

Remember, the Normans were a identifiable occupation force, far outnumbered
by their conquered subjects- any hint on resistance presented a very real
likelyhood of their forces being not only defeated, but completely wiped
out. The Normans chose at the first hint of such possibility to exterminate
the resistance first, which is what was done to Yorkshire. Anyone asserting
an unbroken (Paternal) ancestry in Yorkshire back into the Roman period is
either unfamiliar with the history of the region, or would be a exception to
the rule, on par with the odds of winning a national lottery.

Thus- its very unlikely most/any of those folks ancestry were actually
present in York prior to 1067-8, since those that were there were enmasse
slaughtered punitively, with the exception of some females.

The (bragging) descriptions of the era are that of a northern landscape
literally devoid of people for many years to come. Most in not all of the
current Yorkshire population are likely backfilled from other regions many
generations after the ''Harrying'' or are the descendants of Normans /
norman authorized migrants, coupled with

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 5:47 PM, <> wrote:

> > Did you actually get any DNA participants as a result of your
> > message?
> >
> > Nancy
> -------------
>
> What I really enjoy now is just hearing from Yorkshire every year in
> August when the townspeople become archaeologists and do their annual
> dig around the local golf course. They are dedicated amateur
> archaeologists over there just like we think we are population
> geneticists here. They have produced all kinds of evidence showing that
> the soldiers who served as auxiliary forces stayed on long after the
> Romans left and probably fathered children, hence supporting my
> suggestion that the ancestry goes back 2000 years.
>
> Kathy J.
>

> -

This thread: