From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] S28 SNP - The ''Latin'' R1b
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:10:53 -0400

There is not a "massive proportion" of Italians who are R-U152. The
data so far suggest that R-U152 amount to slightly less than 50% of
Italian R1b1b2 and thus less than 20% of Italians overall.

20% is not nothing, but it isn't what I would call massive.

I'll leave it to others to deduce the actual level of R-U152 in
Wales. But if, as you say, it is 20% of R1b1b2 then the only way that
you could get that from Romans is if half of all Welsh R1b1b2 came
from Romans. And if that were true (it isn't) then where is the rest
of the Italian genetic composition (E, G, J, T, etc.)?

Given the age and distribution of R-U152 in Europe, it would be hard
to imagine a situation in which Wales was empty of R-U152 before the
Romans arrived.

As someone who prizes his Italian ancestry, it tickles me that some
many folks romanticize their ancestors as "Roman soldiers". But when
it comes down to the actual data, it is rarely there. The region you
identify as being under Roman domain also has lots of other
connections, dating back to the proto-ItaloCelt languages that
predated the Roman Empire by many centuries.

VV

On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:54 AM, peter spencer wrote:

> Now..
> this coupled with the massive proportion of Italian samples that are
> also
> R1b / S28+ seems of some significance..

This thread: