From: peter spencer <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:12:45 -0500

Cornelia-
Im sorry, I have no knowledge of the heritage of that surname, but I can say
that anyone not protectively north of modern Northumbria (basically lowland
scotland) was the focus of a very extensive and deliberate extermination
campaign by the Nomans after there retaking of the region.

Thus, there is little reason to conclude that the population today or in
migration times of that population to North America would be in any way
direct relatives of those who resided in roman or viking york (although
some few individuals of viking ancestry in York were appointed/loyal to
William and doubtlessly would have been specifically spared. I would say
there is likely a significant Scandinavian component to the modern
Northumbrian/Yorskshire population, but it largely derives from the post
Norman element, or mididentified germanic ancestry migrants from other
regions who later took lands in the region at the behest of the Normans..

"From the Humber to Tees, William's men burnt whole villages and slaughtered
the inhabitants. Foodstores and livestock were destroyed so that anyone
surviving the initial massacre would soon succumb to starvation over the
winter. The land was salted to destroy its productivity for decades forward.
The survivors were reduced to cannibalism[4] Even some who were usually in
support of William and the Normans were horrified by his actions.[5]
The King stopped at nothing to hunt his enemies. He cut down many people and
destroyed homes and land. Nowhere else had he shown such cruelty.

To his shame he made no effort to control his fury and he punished the
innocent with the guilty. He ordered that crops and herds, tools and food
should be burned to ashes. More than 100,000 people perished of hunger.

I have often praised William in this book, but I can say nothing good about
this brutal slaughter. God will punish him.
—Orderic Vitalis, 11th century"