Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:34:25 -0400

--
> there were only about a thousand residents left alive in the regional
> census even ten years later..
---

1,000 residents would be all that is needed if that figure is correct.
I am only looking for one of them to reproduce. You won’t know if there
are any at all until you look.
There were only 102 passengers on the Mayflower and that was not even
400 years ago and look at the number of descendants who trace their
ancestry from them.

---
> Thus- its very unlikely most/any of those folks ancestry were
> actually present in York prior to 1067-8, since those that were
> there were enmasse slaughtered punitively, with the exception of some
> females.
---

All it takes are a few pregnant females. But don’t the English
geneticists themselves question that “conquer and annihilation” history?

I know there are geneticists out there who are looking for the answers
utilizing scientific methodology and probability statistics. If Stephen
Oppenheimer, Mark G. Thomas and Mark A. Jobling all end up agreeing
with you, then I might be more likely to be convinced. Why not collect
the samples (with enough markers, please) and see what calculations can
be made, if any, back to the immigrant ancestor? More examples from the
Balkans and other places would have to be compared and put in clusters
as well. All it takes is one haplotype with unusual and traceable
markers that survived to the present with enough diversity to be a
significant finding.

Kathy J.

This thread: