From: "Tom Gull" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:55:00 -0400

The same forces I mentioned in relation to gateway New England ancestors
apply to Mayflower ancestry as well. If you can manage to get back into the
Great Migration time period, the population started out with a tiny
bottleneck and was still maxed out at about 10,000 or so for the next 20
years. There were many intermarriages as a result. This quote is on the
Mayflower Society webpage:

"Today there are tens-of-millions of individuals descended from these brave
souls. It is the goal of The Mayflower Society to join together people who
share this heritage and to carry on the memory of our Pilgrim ancestors."

I've met people claiming Mayflower ancestry but never any claiming they were
descended from "a Cherokee Princess" <g>.