From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:31:02 -0600

Forgive me for trying to put the number of Mayflower descendants into some
perspective. If all a person's descendants of either sex each generation
are counted, we should probably expect the number today claiming descent
from 100 Mayflower folks to be staggering.

Under zero population growth (which certainly is a gross underestimate for
the vigorously growing America), the average person's descendants of both
sexes double each generation. So an average Mayflower person in 12
generations would have 4000 descendants. 50 Mayflower folk would have
200,000 descendants. This is very crude because of the usual reasons
brought up in the "ancestors exceeding the world population" problem, etc.
But given the population growth rate of America, even after pulling out
growth rate due to new arrivals, millions today having a Mayflower ancestor
does not surprise me, even given the death rate that first winter at
Plymouth.

Maybe someone will do this calculation more carefully?