From: Wilcox Lisa <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] OT How many races are there?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:57:13 -0700

https://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askcensus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7375&p_sid=C6Lb52Xj&p_created=1219235812&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0mcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ!!&p_search_text=race%202010

"What does the Census Bureau mean by 'race'?

The Census Bureau collects race data in accordance with guidelines
provided by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget and these data
are based on self-identification. The racial categories included in
the census questionnaire generally reflect a social definition of race
recognized in this country, and not an attempt to define race
biologically, anthropologically or genetically. People may choose to
report more than one race to indicate their racial mixture, such as
“American Indian and White.” People who identify their origin as
Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be of any race.
In addition, it is recognized that the categories of the race item
include both racial and national origin or socio-cultural groups. You
may choose more than one race category."

There. THAT should straighten it all out.

Lisa