From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:31:33 -0400

I picked this up at Wikipedia:

"The New England States were initially colonized by about 30,000 settlers
between 1620 and 1640, a period since referred to as 'The Great Migration.'
There was little additional immigration until the Irish influx of the 1840s and
'50s in the wake of the Great Potato Famine. The almost one million inhabitants
130 years later at the time of the Revolution were nearly all descended from the
original settlers, whose 3 percent annual natural growth rate caused a doubling
of population every 25 years. Their beliefs and ancestry were nearly all shared
and made them into what was probably the largest more-or-less homogeneous group
of settlers in America. Their continued high birth rate continued for at least a
century more, making the descendants of these New Englanders well represented in
nearly all states today. "

Is there enough here to calculate what "well represented" would be?

Diana

This thread: