From: Nelda Percival <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] need 23 and me assistance
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 06:39:08 -0500

Hi,
Thank you Ann, I understand the percentages and that (as long as it doesn't get to deep..LOL) .. Sorry guess I wasn't very Clear... It was the chart and how to use it for the X chromosomes (2) and if viewing the actual segments could tell you/me anything..

I appreciate the links, that was what I needed

Nelda

> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 04:39:58 -0400
> Subject: Re: [DNA] need 23 and me assistance
>
> Females have two X chromosomes, one inherited from the father and the other
> from the mother, so a connection could be from either side of the family.
> Males have one X chromosome, inherited from the mother.
SMGF has a nice animation showing the inheritance pathway: (I'll send them the animation link.. my dialup will not handle it)

> http://www.smgf.org/education/animations/x_chromosome.jspx
>
> Since not all ancestors can make a contribution to the X, you can eliminate
> at least some of them as possibilities. See the diagrams on Blaine
> Bettinger's site:
>

> http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/2008/12/21/unlocking-the-genealogical-secrets-of-the-x-chromosome/
>
> http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/2009/01/12/more-x-chromosome-charts/
>

> If your genealogy program can print an ahnentafel chart, I've prepared a
> file with the relevant ahnentafel numbers. Females should start the ahnentafel
> with themselves; males should start with their mothers. Then you can go
> through the ahnentafel report and delete the records of the people who could
> not be the source of your X.
>
> http://dnacousins.com/AHN_X.TXT
>
> Ann Turner

This thread: