From: Tom Gull <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:28:41 -0400

That averages only about 5 surviving children per couple, which is actually a bit low for families I've seen in my own New England / New York ancestry up through about 1850, when smaller families became more common.

The initial death rate (around 50% within 3-4 months of landing) is tied to landing in the dead of winter and also vitamin and other diet deficiencies during the journey. Once they began to get their feet under them and were helped by the natives to figure out how to get food, they were living in an area that had plenty of resources to support survival.

> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:58:37 -0400
> Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
>
> Steve and Ken,
>
> If it helps: 29 Mayflower immigrant couples produced 161 children. 145
> survived to adulthood. The survival rate seems unusually high for the
> circumstances.
>
> Tom

This thread: