From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] OT How many races are there?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:07:35 -0400

Doug's post just covered this actually, but the answer that you can
classify people into however many groups you think there ought to be.

If you decide there are eight groups, then you can find a way to put
everyone into one of those eight groups. DNAPrint could just as
easily run their analysis with k=2 or k=4. They picked three because,
well, triangles are elegant.

The number of groups is essentially an arbitrary decision.

VV

On Mar 17, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Raymond Whritenour wrote:

> I think this post by Ann Turner provides the best answer to this
> question, so far. If there is "no such thing as race," then how is
> the AncestrybyDNA (aka, DNAPrint) test able to distinguish the major
> biogeographical ancestry (out of four possibilities historically
> called "races") for EVERY single individual they test (excepting
> people with roughly equal amounts of two or more racial
> backgrounds)? "Race" is not a synonym for "species" (in a scientific
> taxonomy sense).

This thread: