From: peter spencer <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:28:15 -0500

The following decades regional surveys does not conclude that there are 1000
resident productive SURVIVORS of the harrying ..

they conclude that there are close to 1000 surveyed productive TENANTS in
the region-
(which admittedly could in some cases factor only the Tenant / head of a
family, not including small children/wife/grandparents).

Most of the land that was returned to productivity was at the behest of
Norman nobles who sought tenants to earn them income by cultivating what
became their landed estates .
The true number is likely greater than described by contemporary sources, as
a factor of family members not valued as productive or who are mobile as a
means of evasion / gleaning for subsistence
.
But, the problem is, the numbers even inflated say five-fold, do not
differentiate between a Norman loyalist left in place after the massacres
who is a descendant of roman/viking era populations,
and the very significant known immigrant infux to the region from Lancs,
Cumberland, Westmoreland.. etc.. who simply migrated 75 miles to get a
better lease from the landholders now desperate to generate income from a
desolated new estate they were awarded.

These populations are not the original inhabitants of the desolated regions,
nor is a lowland scot who could be lured to a landholding promising more
favorable terms than found in his well-settled home.

As to the debate over the degree of the extermination, the Domesday survey
in 1086 uniquely applies the term 'waste' to much of the regions so
harried, meaning nothing of value to tax existed there for the crown.
(NOTE-this is nearly 20 years after the extermination campaign had ended)
Deliberate and methodical efforts were made to ensure that no foodstuffs of
any kinds survived for any concealed populations to later subsist off of.

This was a determined and no-expenses spared attempt at genocide in these
locales, so bad that Williams own court clergy document fury at him..no
doubt at their own personal risk.
I can see individual norman loyalists to some extent being spared and
surviving,
or those of known relatedness to normans,
/ those who acted as turncoats..etc..
but even they are likely being removed to the south, Lancs etc.. where they
would have means to procure subsistence.
.
A entire region decimated of all foodstuffs, ALL fodder, all livestock, all
tools, weapons, in the fall..
depopulated and raided by punitive expeditions at least twice that we know
of (the later to mop up those who escaped earlier) its pretty clear that the
majority of the gene pool of this NE region derives primarily from later
arrivals attracted by special financial / lease holding terms that we know
in several instances nobles offered to attract tenants to come work these
lands.

There is certainly the question of those who may have fled the region,
stayed off the roads, and made it into Scotland, west/east midlands, when
word of the nature/scope of the purge spread, but that is as far as I know a
unanswered question in its scope, as is what portion of that body would
likely have been received favorably by the scared locals or left unmolested
when the normans discovered their location.