From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] OT How many races are there?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:52:18 -0400

Raymond,

I think you are missing the point. There would be nothing more or
less correct about them using 2 or 8 or 500 categories. They
obviously face a practical limit in that they cannot sample every
possible biogeographic population.

Who knows exactly why they used four. My guess is that it was
convenient, or that four is what they thought their customers might
expect, or that they thought. I can assure you that there is no magic
formula that told them "four" is the "right" number.

VV

On Mar 17, 2010, at 3:45 PM, Raymond Whritenour wrote:

> They could have picked 8 or 12 groups, if they wanted to, but the
> test results for the major "racial" component of each person's
> ancestry would not be consistently correct, otherwise they would
> have used a different number of groups than they did--which was four.

This thread: