From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b1* and J* in Bali, Indonesia
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:06:16 -0400

It is an interesting finding, but not illogical. We know quite a bit
about the distribution of both R1b1* and R1b1b1, so finding two
singletons in a study of 960 people just isn't exactly earth
shattering - no matter where it is. Without the haplotypes or more
detailed genotyping, it's almost impossible to analyze anyway.

either European or African origin for these lineages can truly be
ruled out, however improbable those options seem. And there is plenty
of attested contact between Bali and places in Asia besides India.

VV

On Mar 17, 2010, at 6:39 PM, argiedude wrote:

> I'm disappointed at everyone here. I just pointed out that we've
> found freaking R1b1* (or maybe R1b1b1) in Indonesia and nobody
> cares. There's no logical explanation for it. It can't be European,
> that would be just too unlikely, and India seems to be just as
> unlikely, also, because Sengupta's study of India found 0 R1b1* or
> R1b1b1 out of 900 samples.

This thread: