Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:12:56 EDT

> These populations are not the original inhabitants of the desolated
regions,

------
Is that true of just West Riding, or the entire area? And are the
geneticists and historians all in agreement with that statement? I really do
appreciate the historical assessment but I am not clear on the consensus of
opinion here.

If a significant number of male descendants can be found in a region of
Northern England who seem to have common Balkan roots based on advanced
Y-DNA SNP testing, the questions I have for the geneticists are:
1. Is there a chance that the time back to the immigrant ancestor can be
established?
2. If not the immigrant ancestor, then can the time back to the
bottlenecking of genetic types, even as long as a thousand years ago be established?
3. Can the location of this original ancestry in the Balkans be estimated
based on a modal type?
4. If there is a clear paper trail of a particular surname and similar
haplotype (but with several mutational differences) back 500 years, is that
enough to rule out more recent Balkan immigration?
5. Aren't there phylogeographical methods that employ specific markers and
statistics to establish migration patterns?
6. If a very specific Eastern European subhaplogroup did not enter the
British Isles during Roman times, but the modal progenitor entered there, say,
before the time of surnames, then what else would be the most likely
explanation of this entry into the local population?

It would seem that DNA evidence would trump historical reporting, though
one would like to see an agreement between the two when connecting the dots.

I would love to hear a debate between the historians and the geneticists if
there is a disagreement along these lines. Sounds like an idea for a BBC
documentary...

Kathy J.

This thread: