From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] OT How many races are there?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:20:37 -0400

This exactly highlights the arbitrary nature of the classifications.
Is there a biological basis for distinguishing between "main genetic
clusters" and "subclusters"? Of course not. This is entirely the
opinion of the authors. They are entitled to it, I guess, but lets
not pretend the distinction is real or scientifically sound.

Every cluster is a subcluster of something else. And vice-versa.

In fact, the study found that they could differentiate nearly 30
different populations from each other. That those populations don't
fit someone's preconception of what a "race" should be is, at the risk
of being blunt, just too bad.

VV

On Mar 17, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Raymond Whritenour wrote:

> So, this study states: "without using prior information about the
> origins of individuals, we identified six main genetic clusters,
> five of which correspond to major geographic regions, and
> subclusters that often correspond to individual populations."

This thread: