From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Who's Your (Irish) Daddy? On St. Patrick's Day,Henry Louis Gates Jr. reflects on an unknown Irish ancestor.
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:38:39 -0600

I'm more interested in whether I have some Irish mamas in my ancestry. I
had a protestant Scot male line which lived in Ulster for some unknown (yet
to me) number of generations, but possibly up to 180 years or so. What
would be the odds the invasive Scots kept to their own women versus setting
up house with Irish gals? Perhaps religion would be an important barrier?
And this would probably depend on whether the Scots who came to Ulster came
with women (and children) or was a primarily male immigration?

But I will check out Gates' story.