From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Expected NPE's Over 800-1000 Years
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:41:49 -0000

Of course you're right, Ken, but to be fair, the example given clarifies this.

But this isn't where it ends. In land-owning families, there will have been instances where a family daughtered out. I can't see a good Scotsman (for example) simply handing over the family estates to oblivion. So one of his daughters retains the surname and the husband changes his surname accordingly. That's not an NPE. So the 49% falls even further.

To me, this makes a mockery of the belief that family A or clan B are, or should be a particular haplogroup or have a particular DNA signature.

Sandy