From: argiedude <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Map of Indian haplogroups in Indonesia
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:24:42 -0300

This image has 2 maps, showing the percentage distribution of Indian haplogroups (H, J, L, R2, R1a) and of Southeast Asian haplogroups (O).

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3941/asiaaustralasiaydnadivi.jpg

The lack of Indian haplogroups east of Wallace Line is... incredible. Especially once you realize how uniformly distributed the Indian haplogroups are across all islands in west Indonesia. Keep in mind the sample sizes for most eastern islands is in the several hundreds each. To get a better appreciation of the magnitude of the difference between east and west, perhaps I should have noted the eastern percentages as 0.0% instead of 0%.

There's a notable similarity between the diffusion of Indian haplogroups and the diffusion of haplogroup O, in that 2 islands east of Wallace's Line that have notable levels of Indian haplogroups, Sulawesi and Lombok/Sumbawa, are also the only 2 islands east of Wallace's Line that very high levels of haplogroup O. Both islands also happen to be the 2 nearest contact points between east and west, with Sulawesi next to Borneo, and Lombok/Sumbawa being the first islands eastwards of Bali. In both islands, the frequency of Indian and O haplogroups is halfway between their frequencies in east and west Indonesia.

I think the map is very clear. We can see that the Indian haplogroups are uniformly distributed throughout all the massive area west of Wallace's Line, and then suddenly drop to virtually 0.0% to the east of it. Everything about this distribution is almost screaming "paleolithic diffusion". Add to this the very interesting details about some of these Indian haplogroups that are very hard to explain as a historic diffusion, namely, the presence of J*, H*, and R1b1*.