From: Al Aburto <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Equivalent Mutations ,relationship between clades and phylogentic tree of Y Chromosome
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:20:58 -0700

In the past it was research workers at universities and scientific
research companies that have found new SNPs ... they were in a good
position to evaluate these new SNPs and their placement on the Y-tree as
they have the data samples resident at their labs to test. Getting
funding for this type of work however is difficult it seems (more now
than in the past)! So nothing much new has been reported in the
technical literature. It seems that way to me in any event ...

Recently though it has been FTDNA, through their procedures and the WTY
where loads of new Y-SNPs have been found at their Houston Lab (Thomas
Krahn & co-workers). It has been an amazing year or so with probably
now over 271 new SNPs found. FTDNA makes the primers publicly available
though so that other research organizations can test them in their own
samples. But it seems few have done anything yet. Maybe Thomas &
company (Hammer too at UofA) need to publish a brief technical article
saying these are the SNPs we have and here at YMap you can find them and
all their characteristics? Make them known to the technical research world?
Al

> On 3/19/2010 8:16 AM, Kamel GAZZAH wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Another question, who is ready or interested to pay for such tests which are very usefull to update the phylogenetic tree ? Is it up to the testing companies like FTDNA, or to academic researchers or to us, the clients of testing companies ?
>
> Kamel Gazzah
> YDNA J2a41(L24,L25,L192.2,L271)
> MT DNA T2b3
> www.ftdna.com/public/j2-arab