From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Expected NPE's Over 800-1000 Years
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:15:46 -0000

The estimate of 2%-5% that I saw came from tissue typing done as part of
organ donation procedures, and simply meant that between 2 and 5 percent of
fathers who offered organs for transplant to their sons were not their
biological fathers. It wasn't clear to me whether the range was a confidence
interval, but if we take it as so, we can use 3.5% as an approximation to
the mean, and recalculate the figures that Nancy Kiser quoted for 25
generations as

(0.965)^25 = 0.41

And sure, this will probably vary significantly from sub-culture to
sub-culture as well as over time.

My interest in this is mainly connected with an interest in Scots clans and
families, which typically exhibit a mixture of haplogroups. Specifically,
the Highland clans almost all have a lower percentage of M222+ that one
would superficially expect from their claimed pedigrees. I think this kind
of illustrative calculation helps put that into perspective.

Sandy