From: Robert Hughes <>
Subject: [DNA] Abbot, Chandler and Dane in Colonial Andover
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:50:29 -0400

Abbot, Chandler and Dane in Colonial Andover

Lindsey’s earlier post [DNA] English genealogy--Waste in Yorkshire
about the Jobling-King study and his surname hurdles reminds me of my
own tribulations chasing down surnames that I thought for sure were
part of my R-17-14-10 project.
Author and scientist Elinor Abbot wrote a book about the founding
of Andover, Massachusetts. That book, Our Company Increases Apace,
identifies the Abbot, Chandler and Dane families as “Old Briton’s” who
emigrated from Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, England to
Massachusetts. USA.
Elinor describes these three “Old Briton” families as being Celtic
Britons or “non-English” families, which I take to mean not UK
Anglo-Saxon-Jute. Moreover, their being from Herts, England was
important because Hertfordshire has the second largest cluster of this
particular DNA signature; S9R4J in ysearch.org.
Alas, it’s not to be although the Chandler family in ysearch that
identifies themselves with Herts comes close, they have the needed
Haplogroup but have a different haplotype modal.
The Abbot family from Bishop’s Stortford, Herts in ysearch is Hg I1
and their Ht looks like I1 M253 Norse to me.
The Abbot’s Hg I1 makes sense because Bishop’s Stortford,
Hertfordshire is considered a Saxon town and not an old Briton
settlement. The lesson that I take away from all this is that family
surname are given, taken, acquired, bestowed etc, that locations don’t
mean Haplogroup / haplotype and family histories are relative.
Regards, Robert
Norway is the European country that consumes the most Mexican food.

This thread: