From: Stephen Medley <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy--Waste in Yorkshire
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:37:39 +1000

Hi Everyone.

It would appear that there are conflicting
theories on the so called waste, and the effect it had on the population

I was sent this information by a contributor on
another list, I think it helps clarify the situation.

"After valuing a _manor as it had been in the
time of Edward the Confessor, the _Domesday_ Book often concludes ˜and
now it is waste'. The frequency of this
expression in entries for the north of England
has led to the belief that such manors were laid to waste by
William I 's army during the ˜Harrying of the North".

Such views are now largely discredited, despite
the reality of the ˜harrying"

Waste seems to have meant land from which no tax
was forthcoming, for whatever reasons. No fewer
than 128 Yorkshire manors in the Domesday Book
were described as waste, even though some had
resources, population, or value recorded.

See the following references for further information:

W. E. Wightman , ˜The Significance of Waste in the Yorkshire Domesday"
, Northern History, 10 ( 1975 )

David Palliser , ˜Domesday Book and the Harrying of the North,
Northern History, 29 ( 1993 )

J. S. Matthews , ˜William the Conqueror's Campaign in Cheshire in 1069­
70: Ravaging and Resistance in the North West,
Northern History, 42 ( 2003 )."

Regards
Steve

This thread: