From: Robert Hughes <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Abbot, Chandler and Dane in Colonial Andover
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:19:35 -0400

Re: [DNA] Abbot, Chandler and Dane in Colonial Andover
John wrote. My question is: how could you take an assertion like that seriously?
The parentage of the emigrant John Dane is not established, and the
line of emigrant William Chandler has been traced back only a century
or so. These are mightly slender threads to hang an ethnic origin.

I feel your pain, John. I try to treat Elinor Abbot’s ethnic origin
assertions as I do with my favorite genealogy starting point, the LDS
familysearch.org site.
It’s a great place to start but then you have to verify any
information you find if you want to maintain creditability.
If you like mysteries, the LDS site is a great place to find what
appears to be the exact same person with six or eight different birth
or death dates, various wives, and various children with some
christened before they were born.
That’a all possible because the LDS site draws on self submitted
family oral and written histories, on books and newspaper articles and
other info collected but usually not sourced other than some long ago
submitter.
I don’t know about the emigrant John Dane but the book deals with
Elinor Abbot’s own family ties with the Rev. Francis Dane, George
Abbot, Sr and brothers William and Thomas Chandler who, she says, all
emigrated from Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, England some time in
the mid 1600’s.
She refers to the Abbot, Dane and Chandler families as Old Britons
or non-English. She refers to the Scots and Welsh families in Colonial
Andover as Borderers or Marchers, seemingly to differentiate them from
the English Puritan firstcomers.
I have found zero useful information about any Dane families in
Herts, England. Today, the frequency of occurrence for the Dane
surname, with that spelling, ranges from Ireland to Serbia and from
Denmark to southern Spain with the top countries being the Netherlands
and Slovenia.
Elinor Abbot’s writings seem to be based on a long list of
archives, New England town records and family histories. Her book has
about 20 pages of references. She herself mentions some possible
shortcomings in the collection of records.
You were right about these being mightly slender threads.
Regards, Robert
My wife would always let me do whatever I wanted because she loved
saying, “I told you so.”

This thread: