From: "Raymond Whritenour" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] OT How many races are there?
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:22:09 -0400

Well, Martha. You're the third person to post this link, now. Stephen J. Gould's work, The Mismeasure of Man, sits in a prominent place on my bookshelves, so this little sketch on the history of the white man's prejudiced ideas about race is not news to me. (Too bad she didn't also chronicle the ethnocentric racial ideas of other cultures, too. But, of course, she had a particular audience to please, here.)

In any event, when she talks about racial classification, she says nothing to discredit the biological basis of racial categorization. The relatively slight genetic differences between people of different races doesn't do away with the fact that there are different races, any more than the relativey slight genetic differences between men and women does away with the fact that there are two genders.

Ray Whritenour