From: Al Aburto <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Native American DNA
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:53:02 -0700

Sam,
These two recent references refer to a "unified group" crossing the
Bearing Strait with no support for direct Pacific or Atlantic crossings:
http://www.psc.edu/science/Merri/merri.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090428223836.htm

This old series of references talks about a Pacific crossing and of the
mtDNA haplogroup X being of European origin but all appear OBE
(overtaken by events) from recent research work as given in the two
references above.
http://cita.chattanooga.org/mtdna.html

I don't think that Kon Tiki is supported by recent evidence either, but
their voyage demonstrated the possibility of fishing families making the
journey westward across thousands of miles of the Pacific Ocean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kon-Tiki ...

Just my take on the Native American origins (long running) debate ...
Al

> On 3/21/2010 4:32 AM, Sam Sloan wrote:
> Native American DNA
>
> Native Americans are generally classified as being members of one
> unified group. However, I spent a year in Central America especially
> in Guatemala and Salvador and there are huge differences between them.
>
> The typical Central American Indian is short, no more than 5 feet 2
> inches to five feet 4 inches and many of them are under five feet.
>
> The typical Native American we have in the Continental United States
> in places like Arizona are tall, powerfully built, probably averaging
> 5 feet ten inches and many are over six feet. The American Indian girl
> that was killed as a Marine in the War in Iraq was a typical example
> of this.
>
> These are just my purely unscientific observations, but the
> differences between the two groups are so obvious I do not see how
> anybody can disagree.
>
> I believe that the Native Americans got here in four different groups
> or waves. At least one group came across the Bering Strait to Alaska.
> At least one other group came in small boats across the Pacific Ocean,
> landing in Chile. Of course, they had not planned to cross the
> Pacific. They just got swept here by the ocean currents and survived
> by catching fish along the way.
>
> I think there is also a possibility that one group got here by
> crossing the Atlantic Ocean, by way of Iceland and Greenland. This
> would have happened more than ten thousand years ago, before the
> arrival of the White Europeans who now dominate Europe.
>
> My question is: Are there any DNA studies that either prove or
> disprove my theory of there being four different types of Native
> Americans?
>
> Sam Sloan

This thread: