From: Nancy Averill <>
Subject: [DNA] Searching LDS familysearch.org site
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:57:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Robert,

Have you tried the Hugh Wallis site for searching LDS records he has Births/Christenings and marriages which are extracted from the parish or vital actual records and they are batched for easy searching, not from people submitting data. They are batched by country, county, Town then you select the batch from the Town and enter the surname, it will list all of the people in that town with that surname.

Here is the link.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#Menu

Nancy

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:19:35 -0400
> From: Robert Hughes <>
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Abbot, Chandler and Dane in Colonial
> Andover
>
> Re: [DNA] Abbot, Chandler and Dane in Colonial Andover
> John wrote. My question is: how could you take an assertion
> like that seriously?
> The parentage of the emigrant John Dane is not established,
> and the
> line of emigrant William Chandler has been traced back only
> a century
> or so. These are mightly slender threads to hang an ethnic
> origin.
>
>    I feel your pain, John. I try to treat
> Elinor Abbot?s ethnic origin
> assertions as I do with my favorite genealogy starting
> point, the LDS
> familysearch.org site.
>    It?s a great place to start but then you
> have to verify any
> information you find if you want to maintain
> creditability.
>    If you like mysteries, the LDS site is a
> great place to find what
> appears to be the exact same person with six or eight
> different birth
> or death dates, various wives, and various children with
> some
> christened before they were born.
>     That?a all possible because the LDS site
> draws on self submitted
> family oral and written histories, on books and newspaper
> articles and
> other info collected but usually not sourced other than
> some long ago
> submitter.
>    I don?t know about the emigrant John Dane
> but the book deals with
> Elinor Abbot?s own family ties with the Rev. Francis Dane,
> George
> Abbot, Sr and brothers William and Thomas Chandler who, she
> says, all
> emigrated from Bishop?s Stortford, Hertfordshire, England
> some time in
> the mid 1600?s.
>    She refers to the Abbot, Dane and
> Chandler families as Old Britons
> or non-English. She refers to the Scots and Welsh families
> in Colonial
> Andover as Borderers or Marchers, seemingly to
> differentiate them from
> the English Puritan firstcomers.
>    I have found zero useful information
> about any Dane families in
> Herts, England. Today, the frequency of occurrence for the
> Dane
> surname, with that spelling, ranges from Ireland to Serbia
> and from
> Denmark to southern Spain with the top countries being the
> Netherlands
> and Slovenia.
>    Elinor Abbot?s writings seem to be based
> on a long list of
> archives, New England town records and family histories.
> Her book has
> about 20 pages of references. She herself mentions some
> [...]

This thread: