Subject: Re: [DNA] The Guild of One-Name Studies and DNA
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:30:29 EDT

I 'm sure membership in the Guild does help recruit participants from the
British Isles, but at what cost?

How many Administrators of DNA projects have the time, inclination or
reason to collect all references to the surname worldwide? I know I don't. I
want to spend my time researching my own family. I run the Britton
project for one reason only--because someone has to do it, if I'm to have any
hope of finding a match in England. Meanwhile, as long as I'm Administrator
of the project, I will continue to try to help other members succeed in
their search. I get frequent e-mails from them and have been writing a long
monthly newsletter for nearly three years now. Last month, I sent
descriptions of my project to every family history society in the UK.

If the Guild wants to become involved in genetic genealogy, I think it
should revise its membership categories so that Administrators can register
their surname projects. I'd be willing to do that, and I think others would
, too, but I'm not willing to sign up for a long list of unwanted
responsibilities. Somehow, I have a feeling I won't be the only administrator to
react this way.

Lindsey

This thread: