From: Al Aburto <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Native American DNA
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 06:45:34 -0700

Sam,
I think that short Native Americans come from all over the Americas. My
maternal grandfather from Zacatecas Mexico was 5foot 2inches tall and
weighed 130lbs. I know this because I have his work card, with his
signature, when he worked in the Jerome AZ copper mine in the early
1920's. When your life is hard and your nutrition is poor maybe one
doesn't grow as tall? On the other hand I'm 5ft 11inches tall and my
younger brother is 6ft3inches tall. Look at Africa for example too
where one finds people of all types (pygmies to very tall).

Search google for "Pictures of Native Americans" to get a feel for the
height of Native Americans. This site might be helpful:
http://www.archives.gov/research/native-americans/pictures/ ... but
there are many other places where one can find photo's of Native
Americans .... also it is just plain interesting going through the old
photos ...
Al

> On 3/21/2010 8:44 AM, Sam Sloan wrote:
> Thank you for these links and you are absolutely correct, I am behind
> the times and out of touch with these issues.
>
> However, these DNA studies do not answer the questions of these
> observable differences. For example, Central American Indians really
> are uncommonly short. Could it be that small size gives them an
> advantage in the dense jungles of Central America, whereas large size
> is advantageous in the great plains of what is now the United States?
>
> This comes right home here in New York City. When my wife was about to
> give birth at Elmhurst Hospital in Queens New York or was attending
> pediatric follow-up, I was surprised at how many of the women also
> there to give birth were Central American Indians. I would guess that
> a good 10% to 20% of all the patients were from there. The local
> people in New York just thought of them as "Mexicans", but having
> spend time in Central America I knew what they really were.
>
> Right across the street from where I live now in the Bronx New York is
> a family of Central American Indians. All of them are under five feet
> tall and they go the same school and one of them is in the same class
> with my daughter.
>
> Another one of my daughters had a boyfriend for a while who was a
> Native American in Arizona. He was well over six feet tall. I could
> see by his looks and I told my daughter than he was Native American
> but my daughter refused to believe me. I finally spoke to the boy's
> mother on the telephone and she confirmed that her family was Native
> American and not Hispanic at all.
>
> You do you explain these differences?
>
> Sam Sloan

This thread: