From: Sam Sloan <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Genetic heritage and native identity of the SeaconkeWampanoag tribe of Massachusett
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:09:39 -0400

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Robert Paine <> wrote:
> Algonquian • Native American • mtDNA • Y-chromosome • Melanesia • New
> England
>
> "also surprisingly revealed the presence of a paternal lineage that appears
> at its highest frequencies in New Guinea and Melanesia"
>
> Didn't Melville have a South Sea Islander as the harpooner in Moby Dick? He
> got the idea someplace.
>
> RPaine

What I am wondering is we just finished proving that all Native
Americans got here by crossing the Bering Strait to Alaska, and none
got here by the Pacific or Atlantic Routes, and now that we have
settled on that, you have just blown a hole in that theory.

The current prevailing theory is that during the last Ice Age sea
levels were lower because so much water was in the ice. Because of the
lower sea level, all of the Bering Strait Area plus Western Alaska and
Far Eastern Siberia was above water. This land area has now been given
the name "Beringian". The area was inhabited for 20,000 years, the
length of the last Ice age, but now is mostly under water.

During that 20,000 years the people living in Beringian could not
penetrate to the lower United States because they were locked in by
the mountains and the ice. However, when the ice melted and the sea
level rose they were forced to relocate south and then very rapidly
spread all the way down to Terra Del Fuego.

This is all explained by the recent DNA study here:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0000829

What is interesting is that this study shows that the DNA
characteristic of Native Americans quickly divided into four
subgroups. This is the same number of groups that was previously
believed to show the arrival of four different groups of Native
Americans, at least one of whom crossed the Pacific Ocean by boat and
landed in Chile.

Thus, while the DNA results seem conclusive, they are still open to debate.

Sam Sloan

This thread: