From: Jonathan Day <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Genetic heritage and native identity of the SeaconkeWampanoag tribe of Massachusett
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:52:15 -0700 (PDT)

Well, the statement is ambiguous, so if you could help clarify, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not certain about the DNA results being open to debate. One must remember that DNA reflects the people who survive into today. We know perfectly well that there were people who arrived by boat into the northern part of South America long before people crossed the Bering Straight, but it is believed these people did not survive there - that they left (possibly for Australia) or died out.

Regardless of which option you choose, clearly nobody today carries the genetic markers of that fraction of those early settlers who stayed put. That's too far back for genetic archaeology as it currently exists, so we don't know what markers they had. Further, we cannot know what other landmasses those early explorers landed on with any certainty.

There are likewise some serious questions that need answering regarding the Kennewick Man. He's probably of Native American origin, simply by logic of where he was found. (For Mesolithic people, crossing America would likely be multi-generational, so no matter what the ultimate origin, he's essentially Native American by the time he's in Washington State.)

Thus, 100% unambiguous DNA evidence does not equate to 100% knowledge, only 100% certainty of those aspects of history that the DNA lineages that survived into the present day managed to preserve.

If, on the other hand, you mean that the history itself is open to debate (minus those aspects known via things like DNA), then I'd agree. The more you know, the more unknowns you can identify. Thus, 100% certainty in any inexact field is impossible.

Jonathan