From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: [DNA] Higher pricing for mtFullSequence at FTDNA
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:38:21 -0500

In case anyone hasn't noticed, FTDNA recently raised its prices somewhat on
full mtDNA sequencing. The largest increases are for FTDNA customers who
currently have only HVR1 results, or no mtDNA results at all (only yDNA
results).

This may reflect supply vs. demand (orders are still backlogged), or the
increased cost of assuring successful and high-quality results. FTDNA
specifically reported:
---
In late February and early March, our lab observed a general decrease in the
success rate and quality of our full sequence results. Where most samples
would normally pass our stringent quality measures, very few tested in those
few weeks passed. This type of test-wide problem can sometimes happen; in
micro-biology, it is possible for a test to work perfectly for a long
period, and then to suddenly stop working even though nothing about the
testing process had changed. Our lab technicians have pursued the problem
and have already produced a significant improvement in the success rate of
these tests, and we are back to running tests at our full capacity.
---

This thread: