Subject: Re: [DNA] Comparing FGS and 23andMe mtDNA Tests - Results Don'tAgree
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:16:15 EDT

FTDNA's results come from actual sequencing and are more reliable. Chip
technology has trouble with certain SNPs, most especially areas in "poly-C
tracts" (lots of C's in a row). I have recommended that 23andMe simply abandon
the effort to call some of these. Other SNPs are not so problematic, and can
often give good haplogroup assignments.

Ann Turner
Disclosure: I have a consulting arrangement with 23andMe, but the
statements expressed above are my own and not official policy of 23andMe.

In a message dated 3/23/2010 5:18:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> I have finally received my FTDNA mtDNA-FGS test results (ordered the
> second week of October). I am now comparing the FGS test results to
> my 23andMe mtDNA test results. This comparison has brought to light
> many questions. The most troubling find is that the test results from
> the two companies don't agree at some locations.

This thread: