From: vernade didier <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Comparing FGS and 23andMe mtDNA Tests - Results Don'tAgree
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 03:22:12 +0000 (GMT)

Thank you Ann. I am posting only to mention that my own answer posted 1 hour before that one is still missing on the list. It seems that posts are taking a lot more time from my computer that for others.

[don't know in which order my 2 posts , this one and the previous one mentioned will appear...]

Didier

> FTDNA's results come from actual
> sequencing and are more reliable. Chip
> technology has trouble with certain SNPs, most especially
> areas in "poly-C
> tracts" (lots of C's in a row). I have recommended that
> 23andMe simply abandon
> the effort to call some of these. Other SNPs are not so
> problematic, and can
> often give good haplogroup assignments.
>
> Ann Turner
> Disclosure: I have a consulting arrangement with 23andMe,
> but the
> statements expressed above are my own and not official
> policy of 23andMe.
>
> In a message dated 3/23/2010 5:18:04 PM Pacific Daylight
> Time,
>
> writes:
>
> > I have finally received my FTDNA mtDNA-FGS test
> results (ordered the
> > second week of October). I am now comparing the FGS
> test results to
> > my 23andMe mtDNA test results.  This comparison
> has brought to light
> > many questions. The most troubling find is that the
> test results from
> > the two companies don't agree at some locations.

This thread: