From: Nancy Averill <>
Subject: [DNA] Re : Usefulness of SNP tests
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 03:40:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ann,

Thanks for sharing that article. I have psoriasis in my family. My father and older sister used to get it on their eyebrows and elbows and knees but my younger sister has it all over her body and gets injections. I have been lucky and only get hives. My mother and brother get eczema. My question is that I have had mtDNA Full Sequence and have sent for the Familyfinder test at FTdna would one of these tests show if I have the PSOR1 & PSOR2 regions?

Thanks,
Nancy

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:37:27 EDT
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Re :  Usefulness of SNP tests
>
> I have some real-life data for two parent-child trios, and
> your synthetic
> child is right on target. For one set, the child's
> haplotype (set of alleles
> on one chromosome) could be determined for 84% of the SNPs;
> the other set
> was 94%. From there, you can split the parents' genotypes
> into two sets
> (passed on vs not passed on). Long stretches will
> correspond to haplotypes, but
> you won't be able to determine the crossover points. I
> still found this useful
> in my family study of an inherited hearing impairment.
>
> PSOR1 and PSOR2 are not genes -- they are regions
> containing several genes.
> No SNPs have been assigned an rs (reference SNP) number.
> You might be
> interested in this article about PSOR1:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC379192/pdf/AJHGv71p554.pdf
>

> Ann Turner